Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Coffee Incident






When I was 12 years old or so I bought a book with my own money called “The 10-Speed Bicycle”. I loved this book. It was copywrited in 1979. I used to read the chapters to learn and understand the workings of the derailers , brakes, and gearing of the bike and to figure out how to do the required bike maintenance. Yes, I was destined for engineering at a young age.

I used to read this book in the car as my Mom drove me to school in the morning. She drove a red 1980 Honda Accord. (Later I inherited this car after the Love Mobile fatally broke down). Mom used to drink her coffee on the way to school. She placed her Styrofoam cup on the dash right in front of me as I rode in the passenger seat. I stared at this cup, certain it would tip over and fall on me. I remember her telling me that it would not fall, but I tensed up at every turn.

One morning we were driving as normal and I was reading my bicycle book. A car swerved in front of us and Mom had to slam on the brakes. That coffee cup jumped off the dash and landed straight in my lap. I was drenched. Mom was so concerned because I was wet and possibly burned by the hot coffee but I did not care about that. My beloved book was soaked and ruined! I was very upset. We went home so I could change and we set the book out to dry. After a couple of days it did dry out but the page I was reading that day was irrevocably coffee stained.

What made me think about this story? Well, I had to do a tune up on my new bike and I thought that I would break out my trusty 10-Speed bicycle book. Wow is that thing outdated! The super-light frames which the elite racers used are steel frames with single butted joints. No aluminum. No carbon. Clipless pedals? Didn’t exist. Helmets? Optional. Heck, even the name of the book is outdated. Road bikes don’t have just 10 speeds anymore. 16 speeds minimum and some up to 30. (mine has 18 by the way). I found the book not too helpful in my tune-up but it did remind me of the funny coffee incident. Mom, I forgive you.

No comments:

Post a Comment


by TwitterButton.com