Saturday, July 31, 2010

Anatomy of a Bonk


In hindsight through the lens of time the reasons crystallize. But at the time it is baffling, annoying, and embarrassing. I bonked. It was Sunday morning and I head out to ride with the PBA on the weekly Tempo ride. I have done this ride several times before with no issues. So why would that day be any different. I head out at 6:30 AM solo to meet up with the group. I put in 12.5 mi at 16.5 mph and feel fine. I eat a nature bar until the group starts. At 7:30 we head out toward Lake Lavon. For the group the rest stop is 30 miles into the ride, but for me that equates to 42.5 miles. We are putting out a brisk pace of 18.5 mph average and I am feeling OK.

Just 5 miles from the rest stop we turn onto a major street and ride single file. Suddenly the bike in front of me distances. I crank it to close the gap then let the burn in my legs dissipate. The bike lurches forward again and I struggle to close the gap. Then again and I can not close the gap this time. Riders from behind pass me. Within seconds I am off the back and alone, but only a few miles from the rest stop. At a much slower pace a roll into the rest stop and meet the group where I eat a Cliff bar and rest. But the rest time seems too short and the group is back on the bike.

I work my way toward the front of the pack. I think that there is less surging up there. Concentrating on riding efficiently, I keep pace for about 6 miles, but then that gap forms again and I can not close it quickly enough. Riders from behind fill the void and slowly I trail off the back. Within minutes the group is out of sight and I ride back to home at a paltry 14 mph average over the last 4 miles.

What happened? I thought about the situation and broke down several red flags that I failed to recognize at the time. (1) I did not eat a good high carb meal the night before. A frozen dinner meal does not cut it. (2) I did not eat a big enough breakfast. I was in a hurry to get out the door that I ate only half of what I usually do. (3) I was on vacation the week before and had not ridden in almost two weeks. (4) The tempo group was actually a faster group than typical averaging 18+ instead of 17+. (5) I did not eat a snack until over 40 miles into my ride and usually I eat after 20 to 25 miles.

Now I have learned from that situation and have attempted to remedy. The following week I ate a good dinner, breakfast, snacks while riding and I kept with the pack much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment


by TwitterButton.com