Saturday, July 31, 2010

Collin Classic

Clouds blanketed the sky on June 12 on the morning of the Collin Classic Ride which kept the summer temperatures at bay. I hooked up with my old boss Nicolas, my neighbor Eric, and my son’s best friend’s dad, Scott. We headed out on an enjoyable first leg at a brisk pace. It was great to ride with friends. At the first rest stop we teamed up with fellow JDRF rider, Dick.

Half-way through the ride a police officer waved us to stop but then at the last second waved us to pass. I was stuck in that limbo period of stopping and unclipping and pedaling through which resulted in me falling. Ouch. My bike needed a bit of mechanical adjustments and I was on my way trying to catch up to my group. 40 miles in I catch up to my buds but I can already tell that my legs are mush and my calf muscles start to twinge. We head out together from the rest stop but I find that I can not keep up. Any attempt to accelerate results in left calf seizures.

I roll through to the finish and meet up with my friends. Later I realized that I had my seat a little too high which was causing my calves to flex more than normal on every rotation. After 40 miles that caught up to me. Despite a poor finish it was a good ride and great to get out with some of my fellow bike enthusiasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment


by TwitterButton.com