Thursday, July 25, 2013

Collin Classic 2013

I was out of town last year for the Collin Classic Bike Rally.  This is a 64 mile rally in McKinney that is weel planned and supported.  There were a few changes this year.  There was a large riders village to get drinks and browse local bike wares.  After the ride there was a band, food trucks, and kid activities.  I got there early to set up a make-shift JDRF booth to promote the Ride to Cure.

All of the parking was in the grass so that is where I set up my booth.  I got a lot of vehicle traffic but no pedestrian traffic so I do not think that the booth was very productive.  Anyways, it did give me a chance to interface with Bikin' Mike (event organizer).

At the start I saw Philip and his buddy.  I also saw the JDRF coach and his wife.  Another JDRF rider was there but at the front of the pack and I never caught up with him.  As I was doing the 64 miler I departed at the 8AM hour with the first group.

The first part was a bit scary.  There were two accidents that required an ambulance.  I hoped it was not a harbinger of things to come.  And it wasn't.  I had a good ride.  The event is large enough where you can always find a wheel to tag on to.  The route was good with some rolling hills mixed in the east part of the route.  I rolled in with just under 17 mph average for the 64 miles.  I slipped into the Rider's Villiage and grabbed a grilled hamburger (delicious), some ice water, and snagged my free T-shirt.  A good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment


by TwitterButton.com